14 August 2011

Forcatella = Yum


Just north of Torre Canne before Savelletri, is an area called Forcatella, a place where local fishermen serve up the freshest seafood in the area in quasi-temporary structures right on the edge of the sea. Simply awesome. Check out Sara's post at Charming Italy for more information about Forcatella. We went there mostly on her recommendation and that of our host, Gregorio.

Forcatella, Puglia (Summer 2011)

The strong winds kept us inside for our lunch. If you are looking for "fancy" or a printed menu of choices, then you should skip this stop. However, if you want fresh, caught-that-morning, local, delectable food at a fair price, by all means, give this place a visit. May I suggest that you order the round of antipasta for a taste of it all. If we are ever even near this area of Puglia again, we will return. Then again, we could live solely on seafood and be perfectly happy, so this review could be a bit biased. Sorry that I can't offer you a description of exactly what we ate -- I should have taken notes in June. Just know that it was all delicious.

Forcatella, Puglia (Summer 2011) 

With about four or five places to choose from, we headed to "Riccilandia," in search of that day's catch of ricci di mare or sea urchin. To our dismay, none were caught that day (because of the rough seas?), so they weren't a choice. Love that -- a place essentially called "Sea Urchin Land" with no sea urchins. No really, I do. If the fishermen can't get them, then they can't get them . . . basta. No imports from Chile or China. (Did you know that frozen crawfish from China is sold across Louisiana? And it's often cheaper than local crawfish?)

Forcatella, Puglia (Summer 2011)

Still have my fingers crossed that we will return him some day :) Have I convinced you that you want to join us?

5 comments:

  1. I may have to stop reading these posts! You just keep reminding me of all the reasons we need to get back pronto... Imported salmon from China at Safeway among them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I want (another) vacation! I like the new look of your blog, the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am hungry! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It's so easy to take nice photos when the subject is like this, I assure you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link up, I just saw that now! Glad you enjoyed the experience as much as we always do!

    ReplyDelete