03 April 2014

corner view

corner view :: inspiration

April is National Poetry Month, so I'm sharing one of my most loved poems for today's Corner View. Hopefully it will give you some inspiration to spread the love for poetry on Poem in Your Pocket Day later this month (April 24)...or leave a poem taped to your icebox, too.


This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

William Carlos Williams


PS. I grew up calling the refrigerator an "icebox." Did you?
PPS. Williams also penned this little gem of a poem.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite WCW poem. He is in my top 5 favorite poets... have you checked out the Melissa Sweet-illustrated biography of him? It is so lovely. It's called A River of Words. Also, Gail Carson Levine has a really funny collection of "false apology" poems that are based on This Is Just To Say... I think they are far snarkier than WCW would approve of, but they are still hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun poem! I have read this one before. No, i grew up calling it a frig, but my grandma was from Arkansas and she called it an icebox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun poem! I have read this one before. No, i grew up calling it a frig, but my grandma was from Arkansas and she called it an icebox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love this poem. Also:
    so much depends
    upon

    a red wheel
    barrow

    glazed with rain
    water

    beside the white
    chickens.

    ReplyDelete